Professional Bed Bug Treatment Pickerington, Zanesville, and Columbus!
Xterminator Pest Control offers bed bug treatment Pickerington, Zanesville, and Columbus, Ohio. When you have bed bugs, you need professional bed bug treatment to get rid of them permanently. Bed bugs can hid in clothing and mattresses causing itchy red bumps on your skin. Call Xterminator Pest Control for licensed bed bug treatment at (614) 935-3973.
Bed Bug Treatment and Prevention Facts
Identifying Bed Bugs
Bed Bugs are small, reddish brown, wingless insects that feed on human blood. An adult bed bug is the size and shape of an apple seed. A young bed bug is light tan color and the eggs are small and white.
Bed bugs feed on human blood. After feeding, bed bugs become bloated and turn a dark red color. Bed bugs can be confused with other insects, including beetles and newly hatched cockroaches.
What are the health risks?
For most people, bed bugs are a nuisance and annoyance more than a health threat. Bed bugs are not known to spread any diseases.
Bed bugs can cause small bumps or large itchy welts, although some people do not have any reaction. The bites may appear within minutes or days.
Bed bugs tend to bite areas of the body that are exposed during sleep, such as the face, neck, arms, and hands. In some cases, scratching the bites can lead to infections.
Why are bed bugs so hard to get rid of?
Bed bugs are hard to get rid of because under the right conditions, adult bed bugs can survive up to 18 months without feeding. They can hide in places as narrow as the width of a credit card. One adult female lays around five eggs per day and up to 500 eggs after mating. In just 6 months, one bed bug can become over 30,000!
The key is to find bed bugs early and start treatment as soon as you find them.
Preventing Bed Bugs in Your Home
Bed bugs can be found in all kinds of homes, no matter how clean it is. Bed bugs cannot fly or jump so they usually travel by “hitch hiking”.
There are some common ways that bed bug enter a home:
- Bed bugs can attach to clothing and in purses, bags, and backpacks.
- Crawling between apartments or rowhomes.
- Traveling in luggage from infested hotels.
- Hiding in furniture such as mattresses, other furniture and clothing.
Steps to Reduce the Chance of Getting Bed Bugs:
- Do not pick up mattresses, beds, or other furniture that has been discarded on the side of the road or in dumpsters.
- Before bringing used furniture into your home, carefully inspect for bed bugs, eggs, or droppings. Bed bug droppings look like black or brown spots. Look for these signs of bed bugs along the seams, under folds of clothes, and in narrow spaces.
- Remove clutter under and around your beds. Do not store items under the bed. Remove bed skirts because bed bugs can crawl up them to get into your bed.
- Protect mattresses and box springs in zippered covers labeled as “bed bug proof”.
- Avoid bed bug infested materials and places.
Avoiding Bed Bugs While Traveling
- Pull the sheets back and check the mattress and box springs for signs of bed bugs. Also, check furniture in the room (drawers, nightstands, etc.).
- Slide a credit card or other card under the headboard to see if bed bugs are hiding there.
- Store your suitcases on the luggage rack. Do not put your suitcases on the floor.
If you think that you might have picked up bed bugs:
- Seal your clothes in plastic bags before you bring them home.
- At home, immediately wash your clothes and dry on high heat for at least 30 minutes.
- Inspect your luggage, especially the cracks and crevices.
An important way to prevent an infestation is to check your home for bed bugs often. If you find bed bugs early, it will be much easier to get rid of them .
Getting rid of Bed Bugs
It can be very difficult to get rid of bed bugs once they have infested your home. It is important to act right away if you think you have a problem. Remember, bed bugs can happen to anyone. Bed bugs have nothing to do with a person’s cleanliness or activities. Even the most careful person can have bed bugs. Having bed bugs is no one’s fault. There is no single solution for bed bugs and it is best to hire a pest management professional.
Don’t use Bed Bug Fogger Treatment, Bombs, or Sprays
Foggers, bug bombs, and sprays are not effective against bed bugs. Bed bugs are resistant to these products. Also, these products cause bed bugs to hide deeper in cracks and crevices. This makes them harder to get rid of.
Foggers, bug bombs, and sprays can cause asthma attacks and other health problems. If used improperly, foggers can cause death.
Diatomaceous Earth is a better choice for bed bug treatment. It is a natural, white, powder-like substance that is effective against pests and it is safe to use. It works in a non-chemical way, so bed bugs cannot become resistant. If you decide to use any product please follow the instructions on the label.
If you hire a pest control company for bed bug treatment:
- Useonly a pest control firm licensed with the Ohio Department of Agriculture.
- Choose a company with experience in managing bed bugs.
- Ask for references and contact them.
- Ask the company to explain the plan of action in detail, including your responsibilities. The plan should include inspecting thoroughly to locate where the bed bugs are hiding. The plan should use cleaning and heat treatments, not just chemicals. Expect 2-4 visits for most infestations.
When you need professional pest control Columbus to Pickerington, OH; contact the bed bug treatment experts at Xterminator Pest Control. We provide all of your exterminator services including residential and commercial pest control services.
Ensuring a Pest-Free Environment
Most people think bed bugs aren’t a serious problem. Some think it only needs a little attention to cleanliness, and even fewer think it’s something that requires treatment.
Unfortunately, an insect or rodent infestation can be experienced by anyone, living absolutely anywhere. As professional bed bug exterminators, we at Xterminator Pest Control, aim to rid your homes and workplaces of pesky critters and rodents. Our job is to bring you the safest and most effective bug removal treatment in Columbus, Ohio.