Spring is a great time to enjoy the pleasantly warm temperature outdoors on a walk through blooming gardens.
Unfortunately, spring could also mean the return of pesky pests. According to Forbes, some of these pests may cause homeowners annual losses of about $5 billion—for both control and repairs.
Here’s a guideline on common springtime pests and how to stay safe:
What are spring time bugs?
Queen bees and queen wasps, in particular, are known to be natural pollinators. This means that once their wintertime hibernation is over, they start looking for meals among the freshly blossoming spring flowers.
Wasps also start appearing as soon as spring takes over in full swing. As soon as the season begins, queens wake up and embark on their search for food.
During the process, they also start building nests and form colonies. Wasp nests are not only known to cause constructional damage but also trigger allergic reactions among people who might not be allergic previously.
As the weather gets warmers, you can expect butterflies and houseflies to start flying your way. Houseflies particularly feed on garbage and flower nectar so you’d see a lot of them in spring. What makes flies highly unwelcome is the fact that they can potentially carry diseases since they’re usually attracted to waste material and decaying food.
What can you do?
Here are a couple of ways you can ensure that these pests don’t give you a hard time:
- Make sure you’ve removed all the winter clothes that you will no longer need. Old clothes usually lead to mold problems in the closets, serving as a breeding ground for pests.
- Get rid of all sorts of old newspapers, cans, and boxes that you no longer need.
- If any time needs to be saved and kept inside the house, you might as well protect it against dust and humidity.
- Make sure all seals, cracks, and holes in the home foundation have been tightly sealed.
- Be wary of any signs of wood damage and be quick to act.
- All leaky faucets and downspout outdoors should be immediately fixed. Excessive humidity is pests’ favorite spots.
- Don’t leave any uncovered food source—neither inside the house nor outside.
Are you looking for a pest control company in Columbus? Feel free to get in touch with contact Xterminator.
We assist both houses and offices in complete pest removal. To book our services, give us a call at 1-800-948-7378. You can also drop us a message online.