The weather is all cold and comforting these days. You may not be worrying about it at the moment, but as the temperatures begin to rise, you’ll also start to seeing some of the most annoying pests—particularly wasps.
Most homeowners decide to exterminate wasp nests on their own. And while it may look like a doable and easy task to you, we’d suggest that you drop the idea. Dealing with a wasp nest without prior experience or professional assistance can turn out to be very dangerous if they attack you. It’s better to call a pest control service to perform the extermination; however, if you’re still adamant on doing it yourself, then get yourself prepared first.
Ahead, we’ve covered some guidelines on what you should do if you want to get rid of a wasp nest the right way.
Precautions for a DIY Wasp nest removal
- Prepare an extermination plan and a strategy to exit in emergency
- Get yourself proper gear for wasp removal. It should cover every part of your body, particularly your face.
- Wasps tend to be calmer during night, so it’s the best time to remove the wasp.
- Don’t use a torch or a flashlight. This will make notify the wasps of your presence
- Don’t have children or pets around while removing the nest. If the wasp nest is in your yard, keep children and pets inside the home.
What to do
- When you’re done preparing yourself for the quest, head toward the nest slowly and quietly. Cover the nest with a garbage bag without moving it too much.
- Take the nest off from where it’s hanging and tightly seal the bag so that the wasps can’t escape.
- Dispose the garbage bag in a garbage can that is placed outside and far from your home.
Remember if the nest is far from your reach—for instance, if it’s located at a high tree branch or underneath a drain, don’t attempt to remove it on your own. Call in a professional pest control service to perform the job. Also, NEVER try the DIY wasp nest removal if you think or know that you’re allergic to wasp stings.
If you’re looking for a wasp removal service in Columbus, Pickerington, and Cambridge, OH, get in touch with Xterminator Pest Control! We’re a leading pest control service in Ohio that offers top quality solutions for all types of pest problems faced by our commercial and residential clients. We specialize in prevention, inspection, and treatment of bedbugs, termites, rodents, cockroaches and several other types of pests. For more information about our services, get in touch today!