Fabric pests are commonly found in carpets, dressers and among clothing boxes. Silk, leather and fur items are also at a high risk of an infestation, because they’re made of natural fibers and are easy to feed on.
If you’re worried that you might be dealing with a fabric pest infestation, here’s everything you need to watch out for.
Pest activity can be easily detected when you know the signs to look for. Here are some of them:
- Visible damage to fabric in the form of holes
- The unusual presence of live or dead fabric moths
- Ticking sounds coming out of furniture fabric
- Feces and excretion under carpets and in closets
- Salt sized eggs laid in dark corners and hidden spaces
A common misconception about fabric bugs is that they attack and burrow under clothing items. This isn’t true, because these pests don’t like to be disturbed and only hide in places that haven’t been used for a long time. Some common places where a fabric pest infestation can occur are:
- Boxes containing out of season clothing and bedding
- Carpets and rugs that aren’t vacuumed regularly
- The back corners of closets and dressers
- Wall textiles
- Clothing trunks and storerooms
- Unreachable carpeted areas under furniture
The best way to keep fabric pests out of your house and clothing is by keeping your home clean. Here are a few preventative steps that you can take to better protect your garments.
- Vacuum rugs, carpets, wall hangings and tapestries regularly
- Inspect trunks and closest that contain rarely worn clothes for larvae
- Rotate out of season clothing often to prevent the accumulation of pests
- Don’t store dirty or stained clothing in storage
- Take out stored items and clean the inside walls of dresser/closet at least once a month
If you’re currently suffering from a fabric pest infestation, take out all your affected clothing and wash/dry clean it to limit contamination. Seal the damaged fabrics in plastic bags before throwing them away, so insects don’t scatter or lay more eggs.
Before you rearrange and put everything back, make sure to call for pest control in your area. Even if you’ve thoroughly cleaned the infected area, there’s no way to ensure that eggs and larvae have been cleared from behind the shelves and back corners.
With professional treatment, you can put an end to future infestations and keep your home safe. If you’re in Columbus Ohio and suffering from fabricator any other vermin infestation, give us a call at 1-800-948-7378 for efficient removal.